Clearly we are all intelligent enough to know when trying to lose weight, get washboard abs, or rid ourselves of those unsightly love handles and belly fat, the drive-thru should be avoided like the Black Plague. Inevitably, at some point, we will all find ourselves in a position where life happens, and we’re stuck having to re-fuel at one of the many fast food restaurants that generously contribute to the obesity epidemic plaguing our great nation. At this point it’s important we make the most informed decision possible with the limited resources available.
Before I proceed I want to put out a disclaimer and publicly state I DO NOT ADVOCATE fast food consumption, as it has conclusively been linked to obesity, diabetes, and a multitude of other health problems. I do however advocate the proper education of my clients and followers. It’s important to have an understanding and protocol to follow for if you end up in this scenario, (and you will) to where choices are made that will result in you not completely de-railing your “diet”, and not feeling like total sh*t after the fact.
NOTE: Most of the mentioned foods are relatively good as far as overall calories, but are still loaded with sodium as well as prepared with questionable grade product.
ALL MENTIONED MEALS ARE TO BE CONSUMED WITH WATER!!!
No soda….Not even diet….You don’t need it!!!
– BK Veggie Burger– Hold the mayo! For a somewhat “balanced” meal include apple fries (25 calories) for the side in lieu of French fries. (Which are delicious, but a serious contender for Heavyweight Champion of frequently consumed foods that make people fat) 365 Calories, 22 Grams Protein, 44 Carbs, 8 Grams Fat
–Chicken Whopper Jr.- You guessed it! Hold the mayo! 270 Calories, 25 Grams Protein, 30 Grams Carbs, 6 Grams Fat. ****Remember, a Burger King attendant WILL NOT come from behind the counter and shoot you with a stun gun if you fail to finish the actual bun. Feel free to spare some carbs and calories by peeling off some of that bread.
–Premium Caesar Salad w/Grilled Chicken– Seems like kind of an anomaly finding this item at this place and I would be curious to see how many of these things they actually sell annually compared to the rest of the menu, but this is certainly your best option here! 190 Calories, 27 Grams Protein, 5 Grams Fat, 10 Carbs
– Hamburger – Keeping it simple.
250 Calories, 13 Grams Protein, 32 Carbs.
(Cut out 16 carbs and 53 calories by simply removing the top bun!)
**** Add a side salad or apple slices for an under 20 calorie side dish
– JR Cheeseburger Deluxe w/o mayo– 300 calories, 17 Grams Protein, 27 Grams Carbs, 13g fat. This one is on the higher side with fat so make sure to keep the rest of the day’s fat intake to a minimum if going this route.
****Skip the cheese and you’re down to 260 calories and 10 Grams Fat****
– Ultimate Chicken Grill (no sauce)– 330 Calories, 34 Grams Protein, 35 Grams Carbs, 7 Grams Fat.
****Add a side salad for an additional 20 guilt-free calories****
– Fresco Chicken Soft Taco– Seasoned chicken, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and pico de gallo. 140 Calories, 13 Grams Protein, 16 Carbs, 3 Grams Fat.
3 of these guys give you just 420 calories and should certainly satisfy. You still may want to spend an extra 10 minutes or so in the gym the next day, but it’s without question a superior option to their burritos that have over 750 calories each!
– Gordita Supreme Steak– Marinated steak, reduced fat sour cream, shredded lettuce and tomatoes and a 3 cheese blend stuffed in a flatbread
290 Calories, 13 Grams Protein, 31 Carbs, 13 Grams Fat.
NOT AS FAST FOODS!!!
– 6in Oven Roasted Chicken- Listed prominently on the under utilized “6 grams of fat or less” menu, this is definitely in your top 2 options if you decide to “Eat Fresh”. Chicken breast topped with your choice of veggies and fresh bread. 320 Calories, 23 Grams Protein, 47 Carbs, 5 Grams Fat.
– 6in Subway Club- Tender sliced turkey breast, lean roast beef and Black Forest Ham with your choice of fresh veggies. 310 Calories, 23 Grams Protein, 46 Carbs, 4.5 Grams Fat.
****Always opt with 9-Grain Wheat bread for the healthiest, lowest calorie option***
– Power Egg White Bowl w/ Roasted Turkey- All-natural, antibiotic-free roasted turkey, egg whites, warm baby spinach, roasted peppers, basil pesto, salt and pepper. Hands down the best option listed in this guide!
170 Calories, 26 Grams Protein, 5 Carbs, 4.5 Grams Fat.
– Power Steak Lettuce Wrap- Seared steak, leaf lettuce, cucumbers, diced tomatoes, red onions and basil pesto, finished with freshly squeezed lemon. 210 Calories, 24 Grams Protein, 7 Grams Carbs, 10 Grams Fat.
**** Not all items at Panera are actually good for you contrary to what their marketing efforts lead us to believe. Stick with these 2 items or anything on their “Power Menu” for a healthier option that fits into your daily macros. ****
As you can see not all fast foods are created equal. The frequency of dining in at the listed establishments should of course be kept to a bare minimum and you should never go anywhere without your food, whether you are meal prepping on your own, or taking advantage and enjoying the convenience of having your healthy meals prepared for you by Nutrition Solutions. When you fail to plan, plan to fail. When traveling, running errands all day, or if you are going somewhere where there may be even a 10% chance you will be gone more than 3 hours, BRING YOUR FOOD WITH YOU!!! Failure to comply can and will result in low bank accounts, excessive body fat, fatigue, stress, and a plethora of health related issues. Thank you for reading and until next time, work hard, stay fit, and help others!